It’s time for a Winter Recap!
I know it’s still winter but weather right now makes it feel like spring is just around the corner with these 50+ degree days but I know we still have the whole month of February to get through! Waiting in line 45 minutes to get a car wash this weekend sure made it feel like spring was almost here too! Since Tim started the snowblower, without any issues, and bought new winter boots this weekend I’m pretty sure that means there will be no more snow this season. 🙂 So what has been the highlight of my winter thus far…
- Winter Decor – I am not someone who is obsessed with Christmas decorations but have had a lot of fun this year decorating our new living room space. That plus a few decent snows can really put you in the Christmas spirit!
- First Christmas with a niece and nephew! – Both my brother and sister had babies this past year. I haven’t seen my nephew in person yet, he lives in Hawaii, but loving on my niece is awesome! Made the Rudolph booties for each of them using this pattern.
- Puppy Snuggles – While Penny isn’t a puppy anymore I do love winter with her! She is such a good snuggler and is our little furnace in bed. She is the type of dog that loves to go under the covers and have a blanket over her.
How is your winter shaping up? It is my least favorite season but it sure can be pretty!
Interesting fun fact I learned this past weekend…Amazon has sample boxes!?!?!
The way this works is interesting. First, you need to be an Amazon Prime member to participate. They have set boxes that you can purchase for a really nominal fee. Some of the products are full size, others are samples.
For example, right now they have a New Year, New You sample box. It contains 14 or more samples for $14.99 BUT after you receive the box you receive a $14.99 credit towards your next purchase of select Nutrition & Wellness products from Amazon. So it’s like you are getting it for free! How fun is that! Many of these products you may have been wanting to try and others might be new to you but something you might want to add to your daily routine.
Example of New Year, New You sample box
So if you are in the mood to try something new or, like me, think the Beauty Sample Box is awesome for travel toiletries…or the New Year, New You box is the kick in the butt you need to get back on track…give it a try! See what else they have available…looks like they change it up periodically.
On a related note, the Sample Boxes mentioned above are sold directly by Amazon, not a participating seller. However, if you search for sample box you will see a ton of other fun sample boxes sold by Amazon vendors. These might be perfect for your next gift, putting some variety into your K-cup collection, looking to send your favorite college student care package, try a beauty brand you’ve heard so much about and the list goes on. Good news is you don’t have to be an Amazon Prime member to purchase those. Bad news is you don’t receive the Amazon credit.
This past weekend I had the awesome opportunity to revisit a little bit of childhood at Keuka Lake – with a 21 and over perk.
Growing up in Western NY State we spent plenty of time camping and exploring.
One of our favorite destinations was Keuka Lake – one of the finger lakes. Our neighbors growing up, the type of people you love so much you affectionately call Aunt and Uncle, purchased land there and slowly built their retirement dream. As retired teachers, they now have an awesome lakeside dock as well as a beautiful house on the hill that they live in permanently.
Growing up we spent a lot of time there camping on the then vacant property. Then indoor camping as the house was framed and then slowly finished. We would spend our time snorkeling, boating, skiing, and bobbing up and down on our floats hoping a boat would soon go by to give us some waves!
This trip, however, was a tad different.
My parents, sister and Aunt all met our ‘neighbors’ on Thursday around lunchtime. We quickly caught up, had a quick lunch and ventured out. We knew our theme of this trip was wine tasting but more importantly it was reconnecting and taking in beautiful Keuka Lake. The girls headed out separate from the boys (actually we didn’t see the boys again until dinnertime). We took in a few wineries, pottery and antique shops. All in all I think we drove about half way around the lake. Each stop was beautiful in it’s own way and Keuka wineries have some views! Back in time for some dockside wine and cheese and then we headed up to the house for dinner.
The next day was pretty similar. We were up early, had a hearty breakfast and headed out to a few more wineries. One being one our ‘Aunt’ works at – talk about the hookup! We were back at the house for lunch and quickly out on the boat for a long cruise on this perfectly sunny day! Back at the house to freshen up for dinner and then headed to The Lakeside – which was fantastic! There are so many options for outside, lakeside seating and it was the perfect night for it. I do recommend reservations though. I had a great beer, Local Mocha Stout from Keuka Brewing Co., paired with Louie’s BLT (no B 🙂 ). The next morning we all headed out after breakfast.
This was a great little trip with some of my favorite people! I need to remember this is the reason we moved back north, to be closer to family and do things like this. Darn you winter! 🙂
As we’ve grown older our family has focused less on giving gifts but more on giving experiences or doing something together. It means more to all of us and is way less stressful. When we were younger we did need some things, whether we were in college, starting out on our own etc. Now we are all grown, married, have everything we need. None of us need more stuff what we all want is more time together.
So with Father’s Day right around the corner, what are some ideas for the dad in your life who has everything…or at least doesn’t need anything? 🙂
- Golf Trunk Organizer – This organizer holds all their golf stuff – shoes, gloves, tees, sunscreen, extra clothes and golfing accessories. Would make it super easy to grab and go play 18 holes. Pair this with a gift card to their favorite course and you are good to go!
- Yard Yahtzee! – This is an awesome Father’s Day gift. Simple game, now a lawn game! You can find many different versions of this on Amazon – or go help a small business and buy on Etsy!
- Adventure Outing – Depending on the type of dad you have, check out a site like Groupon, Living Social or a local events website for great deals on things to do. In my local area of Lancaster, PA there are a ton of deals for breweries, boat rides, paintball, cave tours, comedy shows, etc. Dad doesn’t need to know you got a deal!
- Beer Tote – I’ve purchased one of these on Etsy and they are great! Fill it with your dad’s favorite beer or soda bottles and he’ll be one happy man! I highly recommend finding one that also has a bottle opener attached to it. If your dad is more of a wine guy you can also get it for wine bottles.
- Just do something together – Low on cash or just want to keep it simple? Just do something together! Make him a cute car wash kit paired with his favorite beverage and wash his car for him or together. Take in movie. Go get yogurt (one of my dad’s personal favs!) Dad’s don’t care about the money you spent they really want your time and your thoughtfulness.
Well that is my quick list folks! Thank goodness for Amazon Prime right?
So how are you spending your Father’s Day weekend? I’ll get to spend time with my dad at one of our favorite places…Keuka Lake!
This time of year always gets me. My teacher friends and family are winding down the school year. They have something to look forward to…summer vacation. Something to plan for…a start of a fresh new school year. I’m jealous, sad I left, yet not, but I am. I’ve toyed with the idea of renewing my teaching license in PA. I might…options are good right? Then I think of how hard it is to get a teaching job in Pennsylvania. My husband has been trying for two years without any luck. It’s been raining all week. I’ve had zero motivation at work. Our house hunt isn’t going great…why are we buying a house again? C’est la vie.
Then I get this email from one of my college students mother’s:
All better! 🙂 Have a great Mother’s Day weekend everyone!